Thursday, November 24, 2011

Intermedia Collaboration

It's been a while since I have had time to sit down... Most recently I worked on a collaborative project with Jon Fila from Computer Graphics Design, together we created a 3D dimensional form that utilized software such as Cinema 4D and Maya. Having been around RIT for several years I was able to get the advice of the Industrial Design professors and Rick the studio manager. We were pointed in the right direction and encouraged to use their 3D printing facility which was a great experience! The particular printer we used created an additive form consisting of starch. Using this method and particular resolution output transferred the unique pattern associated with the mathematical side of our geometric form. While some may not appreciate this "low res" artifact of the process, I really embrace it and find it fitting. It hints towards and adds to the dialogue of Intermedia artworks... This experience naturally had its ups and downs, to be fair we were asking a lot from ourselves having never created anything in glass before. The structure at RIT is great for the most part, I found many of the professors quite encouraging! However, school program outlines and restrictions can become very frustrating when trying to work with interdisciplinary ideas. Our project took on many forms and came a long way from our original sketches, regarding both aesthetics and concept. It was imperative to be respectful and open minded when creative differences came up. Everyone has their own distinct background and opinion that stems from their individual experiences, insight, and skill set. In general, I would say that it is very good for an initial idea to change overtime as it demonstrates progress and addresses new challenges that may arise when taking into account the limitations of mediums and/or learning curve of a specialized skill. Through the Glass department at the School for American Crafts we were able to put our molds in the kiln and were assisted with the pouring of glass which took approximately two weeks for the first initial batch of our intermedia sculpture. The restrictions that apply to non majors in the Crafts School really forced us to balance the mold, wax pouring, cold working, and fabrication between various other departments. This project would really not have been possible without the access and assistance from Computer Graphics Design, Glass, Sculpture, and New Media programs. Part of my original concept for the project was to use geometric shapes that would transform into a balanced sculpture with cohesive and abstract elements within its design. The surrounding negative space around and in between the individual/combined glass forms would work together through visual line and spacial relationships. These relationships were planned to activate the sculpture's overall mass and form... which could be changed organically by rearranging the components/modules (various glass orb structures) throughout the work to create new possibilities. In a perfect world, we would have had access to the glass facilities and the time needed to create an environment with suspended orbs and geometric forms that echoed and emphasized the primary sculpture. The projection was another trouble shooting issue that had to be worked out... Due to the varying light in different surrounding environments, the distance and angle of the projection had to be changed. We created a controlled environment using a simple box solution that helped with keeping the distance of the light from the projector consistent. We then uploaded a video, which also has varying potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment