Friday, December 24, 2010

Hybridization: Happy Holidays

I am currently working on my artist statement, a few words need to be changed towards the final paragraphs, and I've yet to spell check... but it's coming along.

21st Century society allows a glimpse into the progressively evolving art paradigm that encompasses the rethinking and growing needs of our constantly transforming technological advancements.

In my work I look to explore and shift the possibilities of blurring the boundaries between medium, form, texture, and color. Having long been trained in the commercial production of traditional newspapers and magazines; where rubylith film and blue drafting pencil once reigned, I have developed an aesthetical sense and balance between more contemporary publishing techniques concentrated in digital manipulation and radical non toxic printmaking methods. I look to further converge the distinctions of prior established fundamentals, while re-appropriating methods for a dialogue of the current evolving trends and advancing technology of our times.

In an aim to better understand the evolution of the art world and my present day surroundings, I have come across the works of many great minds including Craig Owens, Duchamp, Rauschenberg, Baldessari, Kant, Freud, and Marcuse. The Sociological Perspective of life and history connect for me the variables of the past, present, and future, making many things transparent although sometimes complex; the accomplishments and discoveries of mankind are always found first in Nature. My innate curiosity and aspirations compel me to question the possibilities of the way different mediums can adapt and reflect the growing archetype of Hybridization found within our current and progressively advancing technological and Globalized Culture.

In the process of researching and developing techniques, my teaching philosophy and workflow has stemmed out of the practices of my time spent working in marketing and advertising for fashion and editorial companies where I had grown used to being surrounded and influenced by creative directors, photographers, models, stylists, writers, critics, and editors. It is this lifestyle that surrounded me in New York City while working for companies such as Armani, Hearst, Meredith, and Bonnier, which taught me the important advantages of having an appreciation for diversity in the complex world and apparatus of our Civilization.

I now look to submerge myself in discourse with my fellow artist contemporaries and colleagues who possess an insightful view into various forms of media and progressive communication trends; it is this collaborative effort of varied skills that drives the influences of my experimental Hybrids.

Hybrid forms leave artifacts of their distinct nature while at the same time becoming juxtaposed and integrated into a blurred visual aesthetic boundary between one medium and another. I work with materials that lend themselves to both two and three-dimensional environments, which at times become synonymous with their ability to morph into the potential of what I see within their infrastructure. I desire to reach a unified understanding of my environment, a challenge that I hope to never attain while holding truth to the crucial importance of questions over answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment