Friday, December 3, 2010

Art in South Beach Miami

So far I've been to a few art galleries Nada, Art Miami, Scope, Red Dot, and tomorrow Art Basel. I love the culture here and hearing Spanish in the background, the Caribbean is something that I always miss. I was at a few events last night in Wynwood over by NW 25th street; I saw Jonathan Levine and bumped into Andrew Lockhart who is now working on his project Anonymous gallery. It was good to see Andrew, he taught me many lessons in my first year of life in NYC, I remember he told me about how one sometimes has to have a mask and that there are nights when one needs to wear it to make oneself impenetrable to everything around them; sometimes this is all a game, be careful.

There is just as much bullshit here in Miami than in any other place I've been... I'm not really impressed with some of these parties, but I've only been here a week or so; Besides, it's not about that right now. I probably just don't have the patience for these things at the moment. Anyways, I hear Art Basel is not that good, but I'll know for myself soon; word on the street is that "Art Miami" is much more impressive. I was at Nada, which was OK but Art Miami was the best... Sometimes I don't know what to look at more, the artwork or all of the people. These types of events attract a diverse and international crowd, it's always fun seeing something new and interesting. John, Kevin and I are staying over Diego Rivera's place, he's fun... pizza is here, more later.

Ok, I'm back... But I'm in Rochester, it's December 22nd, everyone is gone for the holidays! Of coarse, I'm here, I'm always here in the studio. So, David Cooper has been doing well, he did a huge mural for Trendy Studio over in the Wynwood district; it's great to see his recent success. I remember David's illustrations from when we worked over at Meredith publishing, Siempre Mujer; I love his work on this large scale. Since returning home I've been working on some large 4 color prints, I also was recently selected for a juried international show over in Atlanta. I have to catch up on a bunch of writing because I was really sick a few days after I got back from Miami. I got stuck in a snow storm and turned around when I got to Park Point. I stayed in the studio on the couch and thought I could try to sleep it off but it was like the time I got sick on new years a few years back in NYC. (I'll spare the details.) I didn't want to miss New Forms so I thought I'd make it but finally decided around 4:30 AM "Fuck this, I'm not a little kid." So I finally made it to the car and overheated like crazy, there was no way I would have made it back to the school from the parking lot. I had already thought I was going to pass out on the way down and I finally did in the car. I seriously thought I was going to freeze to death and die.

I'm taking Forms of Inquiry and a few other classes, Art Gallery Management is a fun group of people; nothing too new or anything I haven't been around already but it's a great time to hang out with my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment